Sunday 1 May 2011

India's former Chief Justice is rumoured to be Sai Baba's successor

Prafullachandra Natwarlal Bhagwati, 90, India's former Chief Justice, is widely rumoured to become chairman of Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust (SSSCT) of Puttaparthi, succeeding the recently-deceased Sathya Sai Baba. The retired judge has been a devotee of Sai Baba for almost 43 years. Bella Jaisinghani of the Times of India recently got hold of Mr. Bhagwati for an interview, which was published on May 1, 2011, which included (questions in bold):

The trustees seem divided between Sai Baba's nephew, J Ratnakar and his caregiver, Satyajit. But your election will not be opposed by anyone will it, given that you are one of the best legal brains in India and don't have enemies?

That is true. No one will oppose my name. I have cultivated a reputation as the foremost legal luminary across the Commonwealth. Ratnakar is a relative of Bhagwan (Sathya Sai) and Satyajit is a staunch devotee. That is all. Be that as it may, there is no row over succession. How can anybody succeed God? Who succeeded Lord Krishna?...

...Did his persona rub off on you professionally, in any way?

Every single one of my judgments has been guided and inspired by a divine hand (weeps). I believe in two entities, Krishna and Sathya Sai. I am not a devotee but a lover of Krishna. People may call me mad, and yes, this is madness. The madness of love. At the age of 11, I would run outside the house and weep for Krishna.

As a professional, each time I would sit down to write a judgment at 5 'o'clock in the morning, I was only writing what my god dictated. Bhagwan held my hand as I put pen to paper.

Everything that I have achieved in respect of the law, and people say I have achieved a lot, is owing to the guidance and inspiration of Sathya Sai Baba. There is no doubt on that score...

...Inmates of the ashram, particularly young boys, have levied charges of sexual abuse against the godman.

(Agitated) These are all baseless allegations. Bhagwan is a divine person, divinity personified. All these allegations come from interested quarters.

Several alleged offences committed by Sai Baba were never investigated.

What is the point of investigation? (Agitated) Bhagwan is divinity personified, he radiates joy; millions worship him. He is a teacher of mankind...

...You may not answer all these questions but are you avoiding uttering a falsehood?

I have never uttered a lie in my entire life. I may not answer a certain question but I will not give you a false answer.

It's obvious from his answers that Prafullachandra Natwarlal Bhagwati isn't suffering from low self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment