Saturday 17 March 2012

10 years ago: The death of Carl McIntire

On March 19, 2002, Carl McIntire went to be with the Lord at the age of 95. Dr. McIntire, one of the foremost contenders for the Christian faith in the 20th century, was the pastor of the Bible Presbyterian Church in Collingswood, New Jersey from 1933-1999. He was a protege of J. Gresham Machen and one of the founders of the American Council of Christian Churches and the International Council of Christian Churches.

I first heard of Dr. McIntire when I came across his 20th Century Reformation Hour radio program in 1979, soon found his book Outside the Gate (1967) and began subscribing to his newspaper, the Christian Beacon. I had the privilege of meeting him on his last two visits to Edmonton in 1980 and 1981. Although his radio program was no longer carried here, I kept my subscription to the Christian Beacon, which was a gold mine of useful information. A lengthy post isn't necessary, so I'll just say that readers who are interested in the life and work of Carl McIntire should see the site Remembering the Ministry of the Reverend Dr. Carl McIntire.

No comments:

Post a Comment