Friday 1 November 2019

Silicon Valley billionaires search for immortality in this life

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Genesis 3:4-5

And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
Luke 12:15-21

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: Hebrews 9:27

One of the reasons I believe the account given in Genesis 3 to be true is that the lies spoken by the serpent are the same lies that are so widely believed today. In contrast to the millennials mentioned in the post below, who are spending on themselves now because they have no hope for a prosperous future financially or otherwise, those who are doing very well financially are seeking ways to prolong their lives in order to continue enjoyment of their riches.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce the relevant article Money can't buy you love, but how about eternal life? by Chris Stokel-Walker in the London Daily Telegraph, October 14, 2019. However, if you have premium access to the paper, you can read it here. Otherwise, you can read it free here.

To see the sites of events and organizations and events mentioned in the article, click on the links:

RAAD Festival

The Church of Perpetual Life

SENS Research Foundation

It's interesting to note that The Church of Perpetual Life, while rejecting an eternal and heavenly perspective, refers to itself as a church:

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. II Timothy 3:5

See also my post "Immortalist" Robert Ettinger, "Father of Cryonics," falls a little short of immortality in this life (July 27, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment